We want to welcome you to our blog. We hope you find it to be entertaining, smile enforcing, and even inspiring at times. These are our moments.



Saturday, May 8, 2010

$2.99 Happiness

It's been too long since my last post. I have so many thoughts in my head and so many moments I want to share. I have to pick a couple to catch up and then go from there. I think that's the best solution.

I had a moment the other day that I really can't put completely into words. It was one of those moments I will not forget. It involved no words, only a look that told me everything I needed to hear.

Lorelei and I went for a daddy and daughter grocery store trip. We've only had a few of these together where it was just us two. Normally, all three of us go and have a great time, but this was just the two of us. I'm still learning those special moments as a dad. I can tell you this. Pushing a cart with your little girl strapped into the kid seat on the cart looking at you as you shop and check your items off the list is one of the most precious times in life. We talk the whole time. Okay. It's me doing all the talking and her looking at me with that, I can't understand what you're saying, look. However, today was different. We get our cart set up with the cart cover, strap Lorelei in, and head for the produce section to start our trip. As we are walking towards the vegetables, I get distracted by the bread and wonder if we need bread for our dinner that night. After I make the decision to pass on the bread, I turn back to start the cart in motion and I notice Lorelei looking up. Naturally, my head pops up to see what the distraction is and there they are; dozens of mother's day balloons with a few Happy Birthday and Get Well Soon balloons sprinkled in among them. Oh, I get it now. She likes balloons. What kid doesn't? So, we're both looking at the balloons now, then we both drop our heads and look at each other and she gives me that classic smile. She then points her eyes up at the balloons again keeping her head pretty much straight on. She drops the eyes and puts them right back on me and gives another smile. There was no need for verbal communication at this point because I knew exactly what she was saying. I know I don't have to tell you what happened next. Let's just say, the cart didn't immediately begin to move toward the vegetable section. We took a little detour before we continued our shopping and ended up with a $3.00 Happy Birthday balloon tied to the cart in reach for Lorelei to be able to hit and bounce it into daddy's head. In her 10 short months, my daughter has never communicated with me so well. She said "daddy, I really want that balloon." It didn't have to come out of her mouth for her to say it. She said it loud and clear and I did the only thing I knew to do. I bought her the balloon. At that moment, I don't really think it mattered how much it cost. Sure there was a limit on what I was willing to pay, but that day Kroger could have taken advantage of me and my loyal business. I would have been one of the only people to have ever purchased a $20.00 balloon and still felt as though I was the one taking advantage of them. That kind of communication and pure joy is priceless or maybe $2.99 at the most. I don't know who was happier that day, me or Lorelei. I guess her happiness from the balloon will fade... until next Kroger trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment